In this final episode profiling our first heavy-hitter, Aileen Wuornos, we discuss her trial, convictions, and life leading up to her execution. You’ll get the pleasure of meeting such wild characters as Dr. Legal (a.k.a. Steve Glazer) and Arlene Pralle as we chronicle this strange carriage of justice. Later, Jack and J. J. cover Aileen’s deteriorating mental state during her years on Florida’s death row.
Trigger Warning: A reading of the ‘Visine Incident’ that Aileen recounted during her first trial begins at 17:55 and ends at 20:45.
Aileen’s First Trial
- “Aileen Wuornos: The Trial” Author Unknown. www.capitalpunishmentincontext.org.
- Aileen Carol WUORNOS via Murderpedia.org.
- “Aileen: The Selling of a Serial Killer” Directed by Nick Broomfield. 1992. (Bookmarked at recording of Aileen’s original confession.)
- “Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer” Directed by Nick Broomfield. 2003.
- “Female Serial Killers: How and Why Women Become Monsters” by Peter Vronsky. Berkley Books, New York. 2007.
- “Ex-Lover Paints Picture of Cold-hearted Killer” by Jeff Brazil. The Orlando Sentinel. 17 January, 1992.
Aileen’s Second Trial
- “I Don’t Care What People Think: Adoptive Mother Supports Wuornos Despite the Nasty Looks” by Jeff Brazil. The Orlando Sentinel. 9 December, 1991.
- “Author gets story on Florida female serial killer Aileen ‘Lee’ Wuornos” Interview between Times-Union staff and Sue Russell. The Florida Times-Union. 8 October, 2002.
- “STEVE GLAZER” by Steve Glazer. Originally posted 28 April, 2013. (See for hateful Youtube comments about Steve Glazer’s music).
Incarceration and Execution
- “Aileen Carol Wuornos, Appelant, vs. State of Florida, Appellee” Florida Supreme Court Records. No. 79,484. 22 September, 1994. p. 8.
- “Aileen Carol Wuornos, Appelant, vs. State of Florida, Appellee” Florida Supreme Court Records. No. 81,498. 2 March, 1995.
- “Pasco: Inmate’s ex-lawyer says he guaranteed an appeal” by Chase Squires. St. Petersburg Times. 15 April 2000.
- “Excerpts from Dear Dawn: Aileen Wuornos in her Own Words” Edited by Lisa Kester and Daphne Gottlieb. Soft Skull Press. 10 January, 2011.
- “It was disturbingly easy to watch as the state put Aileen Wuornos to death” by Michael Mayo. South Florida Sun-Sentinel. 10 October, 2002.
Music used in this podcast:
Nick Jaina – I’ll Do the Time
CXLVIII – whisper
Podington Bear – Dark Water
Corey Gray – Rosie
James Beaudreau – Union Square