Drunken orgies! War-mongering! Melon-eating! We’ve got it all in this delightfully debauched episode regarding the worst Popes in history. Steel yourself for tales of depraved sexuality, fancy hats, corruption, and literally putting a dead man on trial. There is some hope, though, as we end with tales of a gentler, American Pope.
A Primer of Historical Popes
- Paul II (The Melon Pope) via Wikipedia
- Alexander VI (The Jeremy Irons Pope) via Wikipedia
- Paul III (The “Cardinal Cunt” Pope) via Wikipedia
- Julius III (The Sexy Statue Pope) via Wikipedia
- John XII (The Gamblin’ Pope) via Wikipedia
- Benedict IX (The Rape Pope) via Wikipedia
- Urban II (The War Pope) via Wikipedia
- Stephen VII (The Cadaver Pope) via Wikipedia
More Pope Resources
- “Speech at Council of Clermont, 1095, Five Versions of the Speech” by Pope Urban II. Internet Medieval Source Book. Curated by Fordham University. 1997.
- The Cadaver Synod via Wikipedia
- “The 6 Most Evil Popes” by Zack “Geist Editor” Parsons. somethingawful.com. 24 April, 2008.
- “Popes of Rome” via One-evil.org.
- “The Bad Popes” by E. R. Chamberlin. Barnes and Noble. New York. 1969.
Music used in this podcast:
“Whisper” by CXLVIII.
“Wake Up!” by Kai Engel.