What have you done lately for our future robot overlords? If the answer is ‘not much’, you may be in trouble. Today your fearless hosts snub their noses at the nightmarish future of malevolent all-powerful AI systems and killer robots. We begin with a discussion of Roko’s Basilisk and the Singularity, later moving on to military robots and the course of serious AI development.
Roko’s Basilisk and The Great Yudkowsky
- “Roko’s Basilisk: The Most Terrifying Thought Experiment of All Time” by David Auerbach. www.slate.com. 17 July 2014.
- “Solutions to the Altruist’s Burden: the Quantum Billionaire Trick” by Roko. 23 July 2010. (Originally posted to the Lesswrong.com forums.)
- “Roko’s Basilisk illustrates the problems with the LessWrong community” by Chris Hallquist. www.patheos.com. 4 December 2014.
- “Rain comments on The $125,000 Summer Singularity Challenge – Less Wrong” by Kaj_Sotala. lesswrong.com. Last updated: 29 July 2011.
- Eliezer Yudkowsky via Wikipedia
- Eliezer Yudkowsky via Rationalwiki
- Machine Intelligence Research Institute (MIRI) via Wikipedia and the MIRI website.
- “Sequences” by Eliezer Yudkowsky, et. al. wiki.lesswrong.com. Last updated: 9 September 2015.
Killer Robots and AI
- “Killer Robots: The soldiers that never sleep” by Simon Parkin. bbc.com. 16 July 215.
- “Hawking and Wozniak issue warning over ‘killer robots‘” via Agence France-Presse. aljazeera.com. 29 July 2015.
- “BigDog – The Most Advanced Rough-Terrain Robot on Earth” via Boston Dynamics. 2013.
- “What Your Computer Can’t Know” by John R. Searle. The New York Review of Books. 9 October 2014.
- “Superintelligence Review Part 2: AI-Risk of the Gaps” bynostalgebraist. nostalgebraist.tumblr.com. A review of Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies by Nick Bostrom. Last updated: 8 September 2015.
- “The Moral Permissibility of Automated Responses during Cyberwarfare” by David Danks and Joseph H. Danks. Journal of Military Ethics 04/2013; 12(1):18-33. Pdf courtesy of Carnegie Melon University.
- Buffer Overflow via Wikipedia
- “‘Smart’ utility meters have security holes and can be hacked, expert finds” by The Associated Press. www.syracuse.com. Last updated: 26 March 2010.
- “Malware found on US drone base was gaming keylogger” by John E. Dunn. www.techlogger.com. 13 October 2011.
- Deep Dream via Wikipedia
- “I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream” by Harlan Ellison. Originally published in IF: Worlds of Science Fiction. March 1967.
Music used in this podcast:
- Kai Engel – “Wake Up”
- Ray Rude – “Oblique Strategies”
- Ray Rude – “Viper”
- Coin Locker Kid – “Crater in the Moon”