Ever wonder what it feels like to live in a real-life Derry, Maine? Well, your hosts do. As proud residents of Blacksburg, Virginia, we’ve seen our fair share of strangeness, madness, and death. Today we share some of the dark stories about our town’s history.
Starting off with a massacre from frontier days, Jack and J. J. will narrate tales of mysterious plagues, unsolved murders, sudden insanity, and how everyday people can reveal themselves to be capable of the bizarre and unthinkable. But, rest assured, by the end of the episode we’ll have devised some theories about why our town is the way it is, and we’ll even explain why we still love it here.
“A Guide to Resources for the History of Blacksburg, Virginia” by Dorothy H. Bodell and Catherine Wingfield-Yeatts. A directory for resources compiled by University Libraries, 1991. Updated 10 December 2014.
Draper’s Meadow Massacre
- “The Story of Mary Draper Ingles: A Memoir” by John Ingles. Boone County Kentucky Historical Society. Updated 2011.
- “What Really Happened at Drapers Meadows? The Evolution of a Frontier Legend” by Ellen Apperson Brown. Smithfield Review 2003.
- Draper’s Meadow Massacre via Wikipedia
Typhoid Fever Outbreaks
- “Etiology of Enteric Fever” by J. L. Cabell, M.D.. Transactions of the American Medical Association. Vol. 28. 1877. Pp. 431-433.
- “Chapter 4: Blacksburg Social Life and Customs” by Dorothy H. Bodell. A Special Place for 200 Years: A History of Blacksburg, Virginia. Last Updated: 26 October 1998.
- “S. Typhi” by The United States Environmental Protection Agency. August 2009.
- “Typhoid fever as a triggering factor in acute and intractable bronchial asthma attack” by Wardhana, Surachmanto EE, and Datau EA. Acta Med Indones. 2013 Oct;45(4):312-20.
- Henry Lee Lucas via Wikipedia
- William Morva via Wikipedia
- Seung-Hui Cho via Wikipedia
- “Former Virginia Tech Grad Student Who Decapitated Classmate Gets Life in Prison” by Michael Felberbaum. Huffpost College. 19 June 2010. Last Updated: 25 May 2011.
- “Virginia Tech student sentenced to 45 years for murdering classmate” by Elly Leavitt. USA Today: College. 8 June 2015.
- “Suspect in slaying of Virginia Tech student had brush with law in 2012” by Melissa Powell. The Roanoke Times. 21 February 2014.
Unsolved Mysteries and Weird Things
- “A ‘Deep Web’ Guide to the Secret Tunnels Under Virginia Tech” by Robert Johnson. Business Insider. 24 April 2013.
- “Virginia Tech Tunnels” by The BS Crew. 2002/2003. Last Updated: 2/2006.
- “Beneath VT” by unknown. 2015.
- “The Childs and Metzler murders: Five years later” by Cameron Austin. The Collegiate Times. 27 August 2014.
- “It Happened To Me Contest Entry: My Roommate And Her Boyfriends Were Victims In An Unsolved Murder” by Shannon Aud. http://www.xojane.com. 22 February 2013.
- “Sinkholes and Cave Collapse” by unknown. http://www.virginiaplaces.org.
Music used in this podcast: