Today your hosts explore the exploits and madness of tiny cults: intensely insular groups of 50 members or less. From politics to pop culture, microcults can emerge in the most surprising places. From Ayn Rand’s Collective or Derek Gale’s “family” to the dark meat-scented details of the Final Fantasy House, microcults have plenty to teach us about the strangeness of socialization.
*Edit: It was kindly pointed out to us that we were incorrect in part of our description of Derek Gale. He was a dramatherapist, not a psychotherapist or psychiatrist. To learn more about this kind of abuse, check out unsafespaces.com.
Cult via Wikipedia
Max Weber via Wikipedia
Roy Wallis via Wikipedia
Kelman’s Process of Opinion Change via Changingminds.org
“Cults: Public Perception vs. Research” by John Stacey. Cult Education Institute. July 1998.
“The Seven Signs You’re In a Cult” by Boze Herrington. The Atlantic. 18 June 2014.
“The Man Who Saves You From Yourself” by Nathaniel Rich. Harper’s Magazine. November 2013.
“Group Death Myths in Terror Cult Group” by Peter A. Olsson. M.D. The Journal of Psychohistory. Winter, 2007.
The Church of the End Times
- “‘Cult’ Leaders Arrested in MA – And You Won’t Believe the Details” by Billy Hallowell. The Blaze. 8 October 2012.
- “History of the Church of the End Times outside the Norm” by Susan Spencer, Shaun Sutner, and Thomas Caywood. http://www.Telegram.com. Worcester, MA. 14 October 2012.
Ayn Rand and the Collective
- “The Unlikeliest Cult in History” by Michael Shermer. Skeptic vol. 2, no. 2, 1993, pp. 74-81.
- “A Look Inside the Crazy Cult of Ayn Rand” by Digby via Hullabaloo. http://www.alternet.org. 23 December 2011.
Psychiatric and Medical Cults
- “The Strange Family of Derek Gale” by Phil Doré. unsafespaces.com. Originally posted: 3 February 2016.
- “Psychotherapy cults: An iatrogenic perversion” by Maurice K. Temerlin and Jane W. Temerlin. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research & Practice, Vol 19(2), 1982, 131-141.
- “Therapist a mini-cult leader?” by RexTheRunt on Clergy and Therapy Abuse Forums on Cult Education Institute. Originally Posted on: 7 October 2010.
The Final Fantasy Seven House
- “When Fandom Goes Wrong: The Dark Tale of The Final Fantasy Seven House” by Asher Elbein. http://www.vice.com. 8 June 2015.
- “A Public Warning: FF7 Warning” An Index of primary sources concerning the FF7 House. Compiled on http://www.demon-sushi.com.
LGBTQ and Minority Group
- Post on genderspatial.tumblr.com concerning Twiggy and Jamie. Originally posted on 14 November 2014.
- “Details (TW ABUSE- PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL, SEXUAL, PSYCHOLOGICAL)” by Asher Bauer. Originally posted on 12 June 2012.
- “Yoga, spinning and a murder: My strange months at Lululemon” by Mary Mann. http://www.salon.com. 31 December 2013.
Music used in this podcast:
Drum Solo for Hospital Ghosts by Lucas Perny