What would you do if the ground simply dropped out from under your feet? What if your bedroom suddenly collapsed into a crumbling pit, burying you alive? What if a chunk of your neighborhood simply dropped into an abyss? If a sinkhole opens up near you, you might have less time to answer these questions than you’d think.
Today Jack and J. J. cover a selection of different types of sinkholes. Some strike populated areas, wreaking havoc and tragedy. Others are ancient geological formations around which people have woven ghostly mythologies. Still other sinkholes can be linked to the effects of climate change. Join us as we discuss this remarkably terrifying natural phenomenon.
Sinkholes via the United States Geological Survey
Sinkhole via Wikipedia
Cenote via Wikipedia
“Sinkholes: When the Earth Opens Up” (Photo Essay) by Alan Taylor. The Atlantic. 12 July 2013.
Urban and Suburban Sinkholes
- “Remembering Seattle’s ‘Great Ravenna Sinkhole’” by Josh Kerns. KIRO Radio Reporter. http://www.mynorthwest.com. 1 March 2013.
- “Meet the Town That’s Being Swallowed by a Sinkhole” by Tim Murphy. Mother Jones. 7 August 2013.
- “Guatemala Sinkhole Created by Humans, Not Nature” by Ker Than. National Geographic News. 5 June 2010.
- 2010 Guatemala City Sinkhole via Wikipedia
- “Body buried in Florida sinkhole leaves troubling questions” by Rick Jervis. USA Today. 16 March 2013.
- “Massive Sinkhole That Swallowed Florida Man Reopens, Two Years Later” by Nicole Pelletiere. ABC News. 19 August 2015.
- Xiaozhai Tiankeng via Wikipedia
- “In Too Deep” by Li Jianbo. http://www.chinapictorial.com. 2000-2002.
- “Sima Humboldt” via http://www.wondermondo.com. 2009.
- “The Sinkholes of Cerro Sarisarinama” by Kaushik. http://www.amusingplanet.com. 26 February 2015.
- “Tabletop Mountains or Tepuis of Venezuela” by Kaushik. http://www.amusingplanet.com. 11 May 2013.
- “Great Belize Blue Hole” via Belize.com. 1995-2017.
- Great Blue Hole via Wikipedia
- Thermokarst via Wikipedia
- “200,000 year old soil found at mysterious crater, a ‘gate to the subterranean world’” by The Siberian Times Reporter. The Siberian Times. 18 May 2016.
- “Climate Change Just Opened a ‘Gateway to the Underworld’ in Siberia” by Sarah Emerson. motherboard.vice.com. 14 June 2016.
- “Big bang formed crater causing ‘glow in the sky’: explosion was heard 100 km away” by The Siberian Times Reporter. The Siberian Times. 7 June 2016.
Music used in this podcast:
Only Questions Remain by Neganote
Danger – [Dark Ambient] by myuu
Juliette by Podington Bear